8 posts tagged tech
The importance of using varied, strong passwords is one that really can’t be understated. If you use the same password across the board, all it takes is for one site to be compromised and your personal details, money and reputation can be in immediate jeopardy.
There have been countless studies and reports on the importance of good online passwords, and most of them present some pretty shocking facts. For example:
- It takes only ten minutes to crack a lower case password that is six characters long
- 1% of online passwords are so insecure they can be cracked within 10 guesses
- Password theft increased 300% in the opening few months of 2012
In order to be safe, you have to think complicated. ‘12345678’ and ‘password’ remain two of the most used passwords on the internet, and are nowhere near secure enough to protect your personal information.
Here’s a few tips to stick to when creating your next password:
- Mix letters and numbers – an alphanumeric password is much tougher to crack than just letters. Change ‘letmein’ to ‘l3tm31n’, for example.
- Mix cases – alternate between lower and upper case letters
- Use different passwords for each site – this may be a pain, but it’s the best way to keep your personal information protected
If you find you can’t keep track of your passwords, you can always click ‘forgot password’ on the sites you visit and have a reset code delivered to your email address. Or you can use a Password Manager to keep everything safe and in one place. Whatever you do, make sure you beef up your security and make it as hard as possible for those attempting to gain access to your accounts.